Earlier this month I got to take a break from work and the city life for a relaxing week in the Dominican. It thankfully wasn’t damaged by the hurricane; they said they just got a lot of heavy rain. I stayed with my family at a beautiful house south of Punta Cana where we laid in the sun, ate amazing food, and got to catch up on each other’s lives.
We had a chef who cooked a lot of our meals, which were amazing and he even made me my own vegan meals when it wasn’t always included in the family meals. By the way, those are FRESH tortilla chips.
Also I started reading a great book when I was away that I wanted to share – A Little Life. Despite its intimidating length, the story is captivating and you become very invested in the characters. Have you read it?
Alright now to figure out a last minute Halloween costume (per usual) …
On Sunday I went to the first annual Vegan Food and Drink Festival on Randall’s Island in New York! It was a perfect fall day to enjoy being outside, eat amazing vegan food, make some friends, and spot the occasional YouTube star.
I ventured solo to the festival, and it was nice to do my own thing. I’m glad I got there early because I didn’t have to wait in too many crazy long lines. There was a great selection of vendors from across the country. Here’s some of the delicious food I ate:
Buffalo Cauliflower Pizza from Screamer’s Pizzeria
Loaded Kimchi Fries from Bao Shoppe (kinda weird, not my favorite)
Arlo’s (Austin, TX) Cheeseburger – THE BEST BURGER I’VE HAD. Worth the wait.
Can’t go wrong with some delicious Van Leeuwen’s vegan ice cream. These are the chocolate and mint chip flavors!
I’ve recently changed the products I use in my daily skincare routine and I’m loving it! I “upgraded” to Kiehl’s skin care line when I started noticing some irritation or an allergic reaction from Garnier products… Honestly just add it to the list of things I’m allergic to :(
Anyways – Every day I cleanse and moisturize my face, and about 2-3x a week I’ll put on a face mask to help refine and minimize pores. Here’s what I’ve been using:
1//. Kiehl’s Pineapple Papaya Facial Scrub
- This cleanser contains finely ground scrub grains to remove impurities without being too rough on the skin, leaving it smooth. It doesn’t lather, but I know it’s getting the job done. I like it because it doesn’t have a harsh smell and contains real fruit extracts!
2//. Kiehl’s Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleanser
- This is another cleanser I have but haven’t used yet. Once the pineapple papaya scrub is out I’ll try this. It also will go well with the weekly face mask product I use… keep reading to find out what that is.
3//. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream
- I LOVE this moisturizer. My mom introduced me to it and it’s so light and smooth! I don’t experience any irritation after applying like I did when I used the Garnier moisturizers.
- Pro Tip: I add a few drops of Lavender and Tea Tree Oil to the bottle, which are essential oils known to help with acne and skin problems, among other things! It also makes the product smell amazing.
- More info on benefits of Tea Tree and Lavendar Oil here
4//. Kiehl’s Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleansing Masque
- This clay mask is great, I use it about two times a week and I definitely see results. My skin is softer and pores are visibly reduced! I highly recommend this if you’re looking for a mask.
What skin care products do you use and swear by? Let me know if you use any of these mentioned Kiehl’s products! They will be a staple in my skincare and beauty routine going forward.
Today I’m sharing the recipe for a vegan green protein smoothie I consistently make. It’s modified from recipes I’ve seen online and I just mix and match ingredients I have in my kitchen. This smoothie is my go-to if I need to reboot after a not-so-healthy weekend, or if I don’t have much time to cook a meal. It’s filling, tastes great, and has simple ingredients with a balance of fruits, veggies, healthy fats and a scoop of protein powder!
I switch up the fruit I use, depending on what I have on hand, but I always add bananas so it’s creamy and thick. Simply add all the ingredients below to a blender (I use a Magic Bullet), blend, and enjoy!
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder
- 1 scoop of Snergy Natural 100% Super Greens
- Contains spirulina, chlorella, barley grass and wheat grass
- 1 banana
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach
- Fruit, either frozen or fresh (sometimes it’s strawberries, blueberries, apples, etc.)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground flax seed
A collection of thoughts and things worth sharing from this month. Happy Fall!
1//. Shout out to Maybelline and Makeupshayla in this Coveteur post.
2//. Incorporate more of these foods into your diet! 15 Best Metabolism-Boosting Foods
3//. A little career advice from Fast Company.
4//. I love Gal Meets Glam’s Fall Bucket List. I definitely want to take a cooking class and attend an outdoor fall festival. Who’s with me?
5//. How to properly air dry your hair …
6//. Anyone else obsessed with the TV show Friends? I started watching it from the beginning on Netflix last month and I’m already in Season 6! IT’S SO GOOD.
7//. An easy vegan pesto recipe that I want to try. My roommate has been growing herbs in our apartment and our basil plant is HUGE!